Chicago-based drummer and producer Makaya McCraven has shared a new track with guitarist Jeff Parker and flautist De’Sean Jones.
Titled ‘De’Jeff’s Tune’, it’s the first song revealed from McCraven’s forthcoming album Deciphering The Message, following his Universal Beings E&F Sides project, which was released last year on International Anthem.
The 13-track record finds McCraven reimagining songs by Art Blakey, Eddie Gale, Jack Wilson, Dexter Gordon, and more. The lead track is his new version of Wilson’s 1967 ‘Frank’s Tune’.
The album also features contributions from artists including vibraphonist Joel Ross, trumpeter Marquis Hill, alto saxophonist Greg Ward, guitarist Matt Gold, and bassist Junius Paul.
Blue Note will release Deciphering The Message on 19th November; check out the artwork and tracklisting below. Pre-order here.
1. A Slice of the Tap (AKA Sliced Off the Top)
2. Sunset (AKA Son Set)
3. When Your Lover Has Gone (AKA When You’ve Left Your Lover)
4. Ecaroh (AKA Revlis)
5. Tranquility (AKA Corner of the World)
6. Wail Bait (AKA Wait Bail)
7. Coppin’ the Haven (AKA At the Haven Coppin’)
8. Frank’s Tune (AKA De’Jeff’s Tune)
9. Autumn in New York (AKA Spring in Chicago)
10. Monaco (AKA Monte Negro)
11. Mr. Jin (AKA Mr. Gin)
12. CFD. (AKA DFC.)
13. Black Rhythm Happening