Multi-instrumentalist, bassist and co-founder of Heliocentrics Jake Ferguson is prepping the release of his debut solo project as The Brkn Record.
Titled ‘The Architecture of Oppression Part 1’, the LP is out on 5th November via Mr Bongo. The ground-breaking concept album from Ferguson is a critical journey through the eyes of black Britons, blending powerful and sobering narratives with psychedelic and soulful symphonies.
Alongside bandmate Malcolm Catto, contributors to the album are drawn from the intersecting worlds of community activism, cultural education, politics and music, and include singer and political activist Jermain Jackman, Zara MacFarlane; Chicagoan activist, poet and singer Ugochi Nwaogwugwu; Lee Jasper, and more.
Watch the video for the poignant second track, ‘Lifeline’, featuring the serene tones of Zara McFarlane. The new taster is a paean to strength, solidarity and hope atop a blazing psychedelic storm with sonic echoes of the Velvet Underground’s ‘Venus In Furs’.”
With his debut solo on the way, we can’t wait to hear what else Ferguson has in store for us next.
- Assimilation (Ft. Dylema)
- His Mothers Eyes (Ft. Jermain Jackman)
- Brother Andrew The Investigator (Ft. Brother Andrew Muhammad)
- Break The Chains
- A Police Service, Not A Police Force (Ft. Lee Jasper)
- Hackney Aint Innocent (Ft. Yolanda Lear)
- On The Daily (Ft Ugochi Nwaogwugwu)
- Say Black (Ft. Dylema)
- The Babylon Encounter (Ft. Janette Collins & Leroy Logan)
- Witness The Whiteness (Ft. Adam Elliot Cooper)
- Lifeline (Ft. Zara McFarlane)
- Reparations (Ft. Great Okuson & Sarah Solomon)
The Architecture of Oppression Part 1 arrives on 5th November via Mr Bongo. Pre-order here.