Ben Lamar Gay has a new album on the way, titled Open Arms to Open Us.
Due out in November, the record marks Gay’s first project of brand new material for International Anthem and Nonesuch. It features contributions from Tomeka Reid, Angel Bat Dawid, Dorothée Munyaneza, A.Martinez, and more.
You can watch a video for the lead track ‘Sometimes I Forget How Summer Looks On You’ below.
Across sixteen tracks, Gay fluently interweaves jazz, blues, ballads, R&B, raga, new music, nursery rhyme, tropicalia, two-step, hip-hop and beyond in a beaming expression of his signature omni-genre “Pan-Americana” brew.
Gay says the album’s title is “a suggestion of a body movement that is used in many spiritual practices and is also a gesture that represents a type of understanding that leads to touch or a hug.”
Pre-order Open Arms to Open Us here in advance of its 19th November release, but savour the first single for now.
1. Sometimes I Forget How Summer Looks On You. (ft. Ohmme)
2. Hood Rich Happy
3. Bang Melodically Bang
4. Aunt Lola and the Quail
5. Mestre Candeia’s Denim Hat
6. Oh Great Be The Lake
7. I Be Loving Me Some Of You
8. Nyuzura (ft. Dorothée Munyaneza)
9. Slightly Before The Dawn
10. Lean Back. Try lgbo (ft. Onye Ozuzu)
11. Dress Me In New Love
12. Touch. Don’t Scroll (ft. Ayanna Woods)
13. I Once Carried a Blossom (ft. A.Martinez)
14. In Tongues And In Droves (ft. Tomeka Reid)
15. S’Phisticated Lady (ft. Gira Dahnee & Angel Bat Dawid)
16. We Gon Win